The Medical Secretary acts as a central point of communication among providers, patients and other team members of our health facility.? Duties and responsibilities include, and are not limited to, answering and screening of a large volume of calls and messages, scheduling ofappointments, inputting patient demographics, documentation in patients? charts. Additional duties include reviewing and maintaining provider?s schedules, viewing and handling orders, taking consults from outside physicians/facilities, maintaining and addressing electronic messages, aid in training of new employees when needed. This position will report directly to the Secretarial Supervisor and will be primarily located at NSC headquarters at 45 Research Way, Suite 206, East Setauket, NY.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answering a large volume of calls and messages.?
- This includes screening all calls and messages for urgency and handling all calls with confidence, compassion, and efficiency.
- Act as a liaison between providers and their patients with ability to prioritize both provider and patient needs.
- Answering doctor and private line promptly and communicating with answering service to ensure daily provider lineup are accurate.
- Takes consults from outside physicians/providers acquiring all necessary information, inputting data into DRC, and contacting physicians following protocols.
- Scheduling of appointments including for all physicians and testing.
- Verifying patient demographics, utilizing correct appointment codes, verifying all testing orders being scheduled, and following appropriate appointment documentation.
- Reviews and maintains providers schedules.
- Ensure assigned providers schedules are filled and all appointments are scheduled appropriately and monitor calendar regularly and make adjustments when needed. ?
- Communicates and provides weekly updates to supervisor including next available appointments for assigned providers.
- Views and handles orders
- Utilizes daily scheduled time to work on orders.
- Ensures all future and past due appointments are handled and marked correctly.
- Accurately document in EMR attempts made to contact patients and mail out proper correspondence when appropriate.